Huawei listed as threat to US national security — report
16 Mar 2021, 07:54 am
main news image

KUALA LUMPUR (March 16): Huawei has been listed among Chinese telecom gear firms deemed a threat to US national security.

In a report yesterday, Perth-based finance and Southeast Asian news-centric portal Intellasia.Net said a roster of communications companies thought to pose “an unacceptable risk” to national security included Huawei Technologies; ZTE; Hytera Communications; Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology; and Dahua Technology.

Quoting Federal Communications Commission acting chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel, the report said: “This list is a big step towards restoring trust in our communications networks.”

“This list provides meaningful guidance that will ensure that as next-generation networks are built across the country, they do not repeat the mistakes of the past or use equipment or services that will pose a threat to US national security or the security and safety of Americans,” said Rosenworcel last week.

The report said the five Chinese companies that provide communications equipment or services were on a roster compiled by the FCC and the Homeland Security Bureau as per US law.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that Huawei chief financial officer (CFO) Meng Wanzhou's legal team sought to admit more evidence contesting the US government's account of her fraud case in a Canadian court yesterday, promising it was the final attempt days after the judge threw out similar evidence.

Meng, 49, was arrested in December 2018 at the Vancouver International Airport on a US warrant for allegedly misleading HBSC about Huawei's business dealings in Iran and causing the bank to violate US sanctions, it said.

Print
Text Size
Share